Questions to "Linux Schnellstart (auch für Raspberry Pi)"

Antworten
Videonisse
starter

Questions to "Linux Schnellstart (auch für Raspberry Pi)"

Beitrag von Videonisse » 09.07.2018, 11:37

My first Post :)

I'm new to ioBroker and after following this very cool project for a while, I did a first attempt installing a test system this weekend. I tried to follow the instructions "Linux Schnellstart (auch für Raspberry Pi)": http://www.iobroker.net/docu/?page_id=5106&lang=de

But I got some questions about the instructions and hope someone here maybe can help me out, see questions below. :)

I did a fresh net install of Debian Stretch 64-bit latest stable build as VM on my Intel i7 ESXi 5.5 host.

Questions

1. First I tried to install using "sudo" via ssh but got a lot of errors when installing iobroker. At the end I, I had to login as "root" (via SSH) and then successfully completed the installation of iobroker.
Spoiler: Show hidden text
Errors from console:
added 3 packages from 5 contributors and audited 2359 packages in 18.82s
found 97 vulnerabilities (30 low, 48 moderate, 19 high)
run `npm audit fix` to fix them, or `npm audit` for details
iobroker@iobroker:/opt/iobroker$ npm audit
npm ERR! code EAUDITNOLOCK
npm ERR! audit Neither npm-shrinkwrap.json nor package-lock.json found: Cannot audit a project without a lockfile
npm ERR! audit Try creating one first with: npm i --package-lock-only
Q: Why mention "Root Zugang freischalten (NUR wenn root-Zugang per SSH oder sftp unbedingt benötigt wird)" when it seems it's actually mandatory to use "root"? With current text it looks like it's an option.
Q: If root login in fact is a requirement, why include "sudo" for running the commands in the instruction?

2. With below instruction is node v6.14.3, nodejs v6.14.3 and npm 3.10.10 installed.
4. Node.js neu installieren für Linux und Raspberry 2/3
curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_6.x | sudo -E bash -
sudo apt-get install -y build-essential libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev libudev-dev libpam0g-dev nodejs
Q: Is node 6.x still the recommended version for current stable/production version of ioBroker, or is it v8.x as mentioned in some forum threads?
Q: The instruction doesn't mention upgrade of npm to a newer version, is npm 3.10.10 really the recommended version? From forum threads I get the impression it should at least be v4.x, or v6.x.

3. After successful install of ioBroker it seems iobroker.js-controller (v1.2.3) also installs a local copy of npm with version 2.15.12.
root@iobroker:/opt/iobroker# npm -v
root@iobroker:/opt/iobroker# npm ls npm
iobroker.inst@1.1.2 /opt/iobroker
└─┬ iobroker.js-controller@1.2.3
└── npm@2.15.12

root@iobroker:/opt/iobroker# npm ls npm -g
/usr/lib
└── npm@6.1.0
Q: Why is this local npm installed and should it be removed (as mentioned in some threads) or maybe upgraded to same version as the global one?

Thanks in advance!

Videonisse
starter

Re: Questions to "Linux Schnellstart (auch für Raspberry Pi)"

Beitrag von Videonisse » 13.07.2018, 16:07

No English speaking Users here?

Bluefox
Site Admin

Beitrag von Bluefox » 13.07.2018, 17:56

Wait a little

apollon77
guru

Beitrag von apollon77 » 13.07.2018, 22:24

Hey,

1.) Yes with npm 5 or 6 the way with sudo is not the preferred one because of changes in npm. For npm5 the installation as real user (or directly as root is better, but we also still work on instructions for the user about this.
And Yes, your first install weas with npm 5/6 :-)
Sudo works best with npm 3.x

2.) nodejs 6.x with npm 3.10.10 is LTS version and will be still valid till April 2019 ... nodejs 8.x with npm 4 or >5.7.1 (best npm 6.x) is also good and longer valid.
nodejs 8.x also works with npm 4 ... and from npm5 on there are those changes that make sudo problematic

3.) Yes there were reasons in the past to have this "Local" npm version ... the current latest version of js-controler (1.4.2) which will bevome stable soom has removed that, because no longer needed.

Hope the answers help a bit.

Ingo
How-to:
* Debug-Log für einen Adapter/Instanz einschalten? -> Instanzen -> Expertenomodus -> Spalte Loglevel

Videonisse
starter

Beitrag von Videonisse » 23.07.2018, 00:02

apollon77 hat geschrieben:
13.07.2018, 22:24
1.) Yes with npm 5 or 6 the way with sudo is not the preferred one because of changes in npm. For npm5 the installation as real user (or directly as root is better, but we also still work on instructions for the user about this.
And Yes, your first install weas with npm 5/6 :-)
Sudo works best with npm 3.x
Thanks for the reply! However, I'm still confused and reading the other threads it seems a common problem that users get installation issues due to incompatible npm version. Is it any good valid reason to use anything else than npm version 4.x for stable installations?
I downgraded to v4.6.1 and used the root login and then installation went smooth.
2.) nodejs 6.x with npm 3.10.10 is LTS version and will be still valid till April 2019 ... nodejs 8.x with npm 4 or >5.7.1 (best npm 6.x) is also good and longer valid.
nodejs 8.x also works with npm 4 ... and from npm5 on there are those changes that make sudo problematic
Again, the answer is unfortunatly confusing for new users and it seems to be issues with npm v6 with iobroker so why recommend it?
Is there any reason to use nodejs v6.x instead of v8.x for new "stable" installations?

Antworten